* Preparing for wet and cold wintery weather can prevent costly damage to cars
* Vehicles need protection and ongoing care both outside and inside
* Autoglymís hints and tips help motorists to best prepare for winter
With the arrival of autumn deluges and after many motorists were caught out last year by one of the most severe European winters in living memory, Autoglym is urging motorists to think ahead to protect their vehicles against the coming winter weather.
Cold and wet wintery conditions can take their toll on any car, warns the leading UK car care expert, and the added presence of road salt Ė spread at a rate of up to 60,000 tonnes each day across the UK Ė can accelerate the corrosion of exterior surfaces.
ďThorough preparation of a car for the winter months can help to reduce the harmful effects of very low temperatures, road salt and increased grime, while also making intermittent cleaning easier,Ē explains Autoglymís CEO, Paul Caller. ďFrom the bodywork to the windscreen and windows, and from exterior rubber and plastics to the interior carpets and upholstery, the winter conditions can contribute to an increased rate of damage and degradation. Preparation with quality car care products can help motorists avoid labour-intensive and potentially costly repairs later.Ē
Autoglym, which holds two Royal Warrants of Appointment, puts all its products through an arduous development regime that includes testing in extremes of freezing Icelandic winters.
As temperatures dip below freezing, the chances of paintwork damage increase. Motorists can prepare their carsí bodywork for the winter by washing it with a purpose-formulated pH-neutral car shampoo, such as Autoglymís Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner, followed by the application of a premium sealant. Autoglymís flagship High Definition Wax contains a combination of waxes, resins and oils that are exceptionally resistant to environmental contaminants for up to six months. Once protected, a vehicle should require only occasional washing to remove day-to-day dirt.
Glasswork is always harder to keep clean in winter months, but Autoglymís Fast Glass is an easy-to-use rapid cleaner and is ideal for restoring absolute clarity to front and rear windscreens, side windows, door mirrors and headlights.
Constant exposure to winter road salt increases the exposure of plastic bumpers, exterior trim and rubber door and window seals to damaging corrosive agents. A specially formulated treatment, such as Autoglymís Vinyl & Rubber Care, protects rubber and plastic surfaces, and helps prevent rubber door and window seals from sticking in the freeze.
Winter subjects car interiors to muddy feet and soggy clothing which can quickly make fabrics and carpets dirty and musty. Autoglymís Interior Shampoo contains active cleansing ingredients that deep clean upholstery and trim, in addition to shifting the soggy odours that can take hold in wetter periods.
Autoglymís Winter Car Care DOS and DONíTS
* DO make sure that you dislodge mud and salt build-up from under wheel arches
* DO protect your bodywork for winter with a premium-grade protective wax, such as Autoglymís High Definition Wax
* DO clean your car regularly over the winter period using Autoglymís Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner to remove build-up of day-to-day dirt, even after a polish or wax has been applied
* DO carry a full-strength de-icer to clear ice from windscreen, mirrors, wipers and locks
* DO increase the concentration of your carís screenwash to help shift any build-up of road salt and dirt as well as preventing the solution freezing as temperatures drop
* DO keep Autoglymís Fast Glass in the glovebox to ensure youíre always equipped to clear dirt and grime from windscreens, windows, mirrors and headlamps
* DO protect rubber and plastic surfaces with Autoglymís Vinyl & Rubber Care
* DO regularly clean seat fabrics and carpets with Autoglymís Interior Shampoo to prevent damp odours and mustiness
* DONíT use washing up liquid to wash your car as it can remove protective coatings on paintwork
* DONíT use boiling water to clear ice from your windscreen as it can crack the glass
* DONíT drive until your front and rear screen and side windows are clear of snow, ice, dirt and condensation
More information about Autoglymís range of premium vehicle-care products, please click the